When I started blogging, all I wanted to know was when my awesome content would start getting traffic. The Internet will tell you “6 months”, but I wanted to create an actual case study that showed exactly what it took. So I created this post.
I’ll be tracking my results over the first 3 years of this website’s existence (until July 2022). I’ll include exactly what I’ve built each month in a competitive YMYL niche so that you can follow along. My goal is to be over 100,000 clicks per month from Google by the time the three years are up (because I think I can replace a six-figure income with that much traffic).
Let’s do this!!!
Month 7: January 2020
Wait, why am I starting this case study in month 7?
The first 6 months of this blog were very uneventful and it was much harder to establish a writing habit than I anticipated. It took me ages to convince myself to start a blog and then when I finally did, I only wrote these 16 posts in the first six months.
- 7 Simple Tips For An Amazing DIY Green Screen
- 7 Reasons You’re Never Too Old To Start A Business
- How to Make Way More Money Blogging by Removing Ads
- Why Are Email Lists so Valuable for Bloggers?
- Does Your Blog Need a Niche? (Only if you like Money)
- Is Guest Blogging a Complete Waste of Your Time?
- How To Use Gmail With a Custom Domain Name For Free
- Is Affiliate Marketing a Good Way to Make Money on Your Blog?
- How Long Does it Take to Get 100k Visitors per Month with Google?
- How Much Blog Traffic Do You Need To Replace a Six-Figure Income?
- How to do Keyword Research as a New Blogger in 2019
- What to Do When Your Friends and Family Don’t Support Your Business
- The Perfect Number of Blog Posts to Write Before Launching Your Blog
- Keyword Research Tools Can’t Accurately Predict Search Volume. Here’s Why
- The Free and Legal Way to use Celebrity Photos on Your Blog
- 7 Reasons You Should Never Have a Business Partner
Not that I’m unhappy with these posts, several of them did quite well in Google in distant future months. But, that’s less than a post a week. Things really started heating up when I doubled down on blogging faster in early 2020.
- WebP: The Ideal Image Format for Bloggers in 2020 and Beyond?
- 12 Actionable Ways to 10x Your Productivity Right Now.
- How To Obliterate WordPress Comment Spam Without a Plugin
- How To Write a Quality Blog Post In 90 Minutes
- What is a Tripwire Offer? (And How To Profit From It)
Month 8: February 2020
I was feeling pretty discouraged in February. I felt like I’d been working very hard but I still had fewer than 30 posts and was seeing zero signs that Google was going to send any traffic. However, the 8 posts I published was one of the best months I’d have creating content for quite some time.
- How Much Does it Cost to Start a Blog? (And Can You Blog for Free?)
- How To Tell a Date You’re an Entrepreneur that Quit His Job
- Why Blogging Isn’t Dead (And is Actually Stronger Than Ever)
- How To Use Your iPhone as an Amazing Dual-Audio Recorder for YouTube
- How To Write Code 10x Faster Than Your Peers
- Can You Profitably Dropship With Google Shopping?
- How To Embed Private YouTube Videos on Your Website For Free
- Why No-One Will Steal Your Business Idea (So Stop Worrying!)
Month 9: March 2020
90 clicks!! Holy Cow! In a few years I’ll see this as a tiny number of clicks, but in the moment I’m beyond excited. I felt like I’d just done something very special.
Although March 2020 was a bit of an odd time if you can remember back that far. Coronavirus came in and randomly locked down human civilization overnight… Bummer. That said, I initially responded very positively to the pandemic and used it as an excuse to work harder on this blog.
- Create an Amazing YouTube Channel With an iPhone
- 11 Blogging Myths: Bad Blogging Advice That Hurts Your Site
- How Price Affects Conversion Rates and Why You’re Not Charging Enough
- 11 Reasons Not Watching The News Will Improve Your Life
- What’s a Good Bounce Rate for Blogs? (And How to Improve Yours)
- 3 Simple Steps To Get Crazy Pinterest Traffic
March was also notable because I switched my hosting from Bluehost to the Google Cloud Platform. I also built my own WordPress theme during the previous 9 months. And while I wouldn’t recommend doing that, my Google PageSpeed scores are perfect starting around month 10 of this blog.
Month 10: April 2020
768 clicks in one month! Seeing the traffic nearly 10x over last month has felt incredibly energizing to me. It’s hard to keep writing when nobody is showing up. Goodbye ghost-town!
If there’s a downside to this rise in traffic it’s that 95% of it is coming from my one post on how to embed a private YouTube video. I’d like to see my other posts rise the ranks as well. Towards the end of April, the first post I ever wrote started to get a tiny bit of Google traffic as well. So perhaps more posts will begin growing soon.
In April I pumped out another 6 blog posts.
- Best Apps for Blogging: How To Blog Exclusively on Your iPad
- 7 Ironclad Steps for an Incredibly Fast Blog
- 5 Reasons Why Technical Certifications Aren’t Worth It
- Push Notifications are Killing You; How to Turn Them Off
- Why You Should Spend 0% of Your Time Promoting Your New Blog
- Every Link Building Technique Known to Man and Why They’re a Waste of Time
Month 11: May 2020
2,380 visitors in a month is well short of my 100k visitor goal. But, it’s 309% growth over last month. That growth can’t keep up for very long without me getting there.
Only 3 blog posts this month.
- DNS Lookups Explained (With Pictures)
- Influencers and Their Jaw-Dropping Profits Explained
- The Best Private Video Hosting Sites for Embedded Courses
I felt a bit burnt out with writing this month. I decided to spend some time on other important tasks. I set up my website with a load balancer on GCP so that my site is super fast in Japan as well as the US. I also completely revamped my contact page to look awesome (and function properly)!
Month 12: June 2020
It feels insane that I’ve been doing this for an entire year. The first 7 months may have started out slow, but I’ve really picked it up the past few months. I nearly reached my initial goal of a blog post a week when all was said and done. Plus, I coded this entire theme and set up the fastest hosting possible all while struggling with a full-time job. Not bad.
I had a very productive month this month. I completely revamped my author page to look awesome. On top of that, I wrote 6 massive blog posts.
- 7 Genius Video Backdrop Ideas For YouTube and Zoom
- 57 Product Ideas to Monetize Your Blog or YouTube Channel
- What is an Info Product? (7 Thought-Provoking Examples)
- Why Your New Blog is Guaranteed to Fail (And How to Fix It)
- How To Sell Your YouTube Channel (And For How Much?)
- Do Backlinks Still Matter in 2020? | Why Backlinks Are Overhyped
Month 13: July 2020
I have a YouTube channel! Overcoming the fear of putting myself out there on video was hard to do. But, I’m doing it in year 2!
The hope is that one day the YouTube channel stands on its own. But for now, most of the videos I’m making are meant to be a complement to my blog posts. We’ll see if it has a positive effect on my traffic and website authority.
And I wrote four more blog posts this month.
- Examples of Successful Blogs That DON’T Blog About Blogging
- Why Bloggers Swear Higher Word Counts Rank Better (Despite Google’s Denial)
- Why Building Multiple Blogs is Never a Good Idea
- How Much YouTube Sponsors Pay (And Where To Find Them)
Month 14: August 2020
Another big boost to impressions but not clicks. I have a lot of posts that are climbing the ranks but just not on page 1 just yet. It’s very frustrating.
Also frustrating is that I only wrote a couple new blog posts. I hit a major life roadblock in August of 2020. My job decided it’d be a good idea if they send me into work among a ton of people during the peak of Coronavirus. On a project that is a complete disaster (because no decent software engineers will go into work during the peak of coronavirus in the US).
The next several months of my blog are not pretty. But, I think it’s good to note that blogging isn’t always going to be rainbows and unicorns.
- Can You Blog With a Pen Name? | How to Blog Anonymously
- Winning with Help a Reporter Out | Craft The Perfect Reply
Month 15: September 2020
Traffic is rising. Didn’t get a ton of content written however.
- Why Zero Volume Search Keywords Are a Traffic Goldmine
- Why DSLRs are Dead Technology | Long Live Mirrorless Cameras!
- What’s the Conversion Rate for Donation Buttons on Blog Posts?
Month 16: October 2020
Again, my job’s the worst. Traffic’s rising but the amount of content I’ve been able to produce through this madness is minimal.
- Writing a Script For YouTube Videos is Stupid | What To Do Instead
- Does Your Blog Really Need To Implement The GDPR?
Month 17: November 2020
Given how awful my work-life is, I’m actually happy with getting 4 pieces of content out in a month. I actually really like all of these posts too.
- How Expensive an SD Card Do You Need? | How To Choose the Perfect Card for Your Camera.
- Are 2020 M1 Macs (mini, air, pro) Good for XCode Development? Do You Need More RAM?
- 5 Steps to Create a DIY Brand For Your Digital Business Without Spending Thousands
- 7 Simple Tips to 10x Your YouTube Audio Quality
Month 18: December 2020
Another slow-ish month with only 3 posts. Thanks crappy job / pandemic.
- Should You Film in Log? A Layman’s Guide to Color Profiles
- How to Find Music for Your YouTube Videos | Pick the Perfect Song
- Should You Film in 4:2:2? | Color Sampling Explained!
That said, this was my last crappy month at work. I finally got off this horrible project, so 2021 is looking up with the amount of content I’ll be able to produce.
Plus, this was a big month as I switched my domain name from failuremountain.com to shaunpoore.com. This is definitely hurt my traffic numbers in the short-term (but they come back). I made the switch because I feel very proud of the work I’m creating. Plus, I think a personal brand is the clear way forward when combining the blog with a YouTube channel that features me.
I also decided to stop tracking Twitter and Facebook likes. I’ve decided I’m not interested in social media traffic on this blog. It’s just not part of my business model right now.
Month 19: January 2021
You can definitely see how low my traffic got in the weeks following the domain switch. Luckily, it recovered and then some towards the end of the month.
New year, new me! In 2020, I averaged a weekly blog post. While that’s a big improvement from year 1, it’s still not fast enough. This year I’m literally tripling down. The goal is two blog posts and one YouTube video per week.
I don’t know if I can keep up that content pace for an entire year, but at least in month 1 I successfully hit the mark.
- The Best Sony A7S iii Settings for YouTubers
- 19 Best YouTube Channels to Binge-Watch in 2021
- How To Buy Cheap Vintage Lenses for Your Modern Mirrorless Camera
- Why Apple’s AirDrop is so Unbelievably Fast
- 17 Gift Ideas For YouTubers in 2021
- Why is Final Cut Pro Taking Up so Much Disk Space? How to Turn Off Background Rendering
- The Best Cameras for New YouTubers in 2021
- Why Filming in Log on Your iPhone is Silly
- 7 Blogging Tips to Succeed Despite a Full-Time Job
And the five YouTube Videos. Which I’m reasonably happy with but I really need to improve the quality with them in future months.
- AirPods Max Review: How Much Noise Can You Hear Really?
- Should You Film in Log and Why?
- Is Blogging a Pyramid Scheme?
- Why Your Blog Needs a Niche!
- Why Guest Blogging is a Gigantic Scam
Month 20: February 2021
Publishing 14 pieces of content in a 28 day month feels like a major accomplishment. My traffic is still increasing (much slower than I’d like). With the influx of posts I’m hoping to see major growth in the coming months.
This month I also made some major theme changes. I stopped using custom fonts due to load time and CLS issues they caused in Google’s Core Web Vitals. I switched the default theme to dark mode, removed comments, and removed all social media references. I’m no longer tracking Pinterest followers with these updates as I officially don’t use it anymore. Here are this months posts.
- Why Writing on Medium is a Disaster for New Bloggers
- How To Leverage YouTube Videos To Skyrocket Your Blog’s Traffic
- 7 Reasons You Shouldn’t Allow Comments on Your WordPress Blog
- How To Buy a Blog – 7 Reasons Buying a Blog is an Amazing Investment
- 13 Best Plugins for Final Cut Pro X
- 7 Reasons Copying Rival Blogs Will Fail
- Should You Film 4K YouTube Videos, Isn’t 1080p Good Enough?
- 7 Reasons You Shouldn’t Promote Your Blog on Quora
- 9 Tips To Be More Engaging On Camera (For YouTubers)
And the YouTube videos. The quality is increasing in the videos but I’ve still got a long ways to go before I’m great at it.
- How To Set Up a Green Screen In a Small Space (For YouTubers)
- What Camera Should a New YouTuber Buy in 2021? & 8 Things I wish I knew About Cameras
- How Expensive an SD Card Do You Need? | How To Choose the Perfect Card for Your Camera
- Why Writing on Medium is a Disaster for New Bloggers | Should You Blog On Medium?
Month 21: March 2021
It’s hard to describe how discouraging it feels to churn out 27 blog posts and 10 YouTube videos in three months only to watch your traffic DECREASE! This is unfortunately how blogging goes though. Right now, I’m paying the price for the amount of content I wrote in August through December.
- How to Find Fonts That Work in Every Browser | Web Safe Fonts Explained
- What To Do If Somebody Steals Your Blog Content (DMCA Takedown Guide)
- How To Make a 360° VR YouTube Video for Beginners
- 9 Tips To Dominate Your Fantasy Football Auction Draft in 2021
- 7 Ways Your Blog Can Dominate in a Competitive Niche
- Are Backlink Services Safe and Effective? Or Will They Destroy Your Blog?
- Does Spelling and Grammar Matter for Bloggers? | A Case Study
- Add New File Types To WordPress Media Library Without a Plugin (use Functions.php)
- How To Successfully Blog in a YMYL Niche
I missed my target with YouTube videos this month. But, I learned a ton of cool stuff learning to make 360 videos. So worth it.
Month 22: April 2021
Boom! Finally over 100 posts in month 22. I averaged about a post a week over the first two years which I’m reasonably happy with, although I hope to double that over the next two years.
April took me down the Core Web Vitals rabbithole. My theme had cumulative layout shift issues and I spent tons of time fixing it. After all that effort, of course Google delayed its Core Web Vitals rollout. They won’t start until mid-June now, nice.
I also spent a huge amount of time adding JSON-LD schema to all of my blog posts. I’m hoping that providing Google with the proper image formats will allow me to rank in Google Discover. The other hope is that providing transcripts for my YouTube videos may help those video posts rank.
Time will tell if those changes actually improve my traffic in future months. For now, here are this months posts.
- Niche Sites Died in 2015, Why Authority Sites Reign Supreme in 2021
- What’s the Best Blogging Schedule? (& How To Write Multiple Post Per Week)
- Code Needed to Add Schema.org To Your Blog Post (And Why It’s Worth It!)
- How To Get The Transcript of Your YouTube Video
- 12 Reasons Scrums Fail for Agile Software Teams
- Do Plagiarism Checkers Work? (I Test The Best Copyright Detection Software on The Market)
- How To Use News Clips in Your YouTube Videos
Month 23: May 2021
May was a pretty epic disaster for me personally. Got my 2nd vaccine and got pretty sick for a day or so. Then started seeing my friends again a couple weeks later (And immediately got sick again. I don’t think it was Covid, but it still knocked me out of the game for a week).
It’s encouraging to see my impressions continue to rise. However, the clicks still aren’t increasing like I’d want to see. I’ve got plans to address that by using AI to come up with sexier titles. We’ll see if that can help things.
Blog posts this month.
- 12 Best Stock Video Sites for YouTubers in 2021
- Can You Use Artificial Intelligence (GPT-3) To Write a Better Blog Post?
Videos this month.
- How To Code 10x Faster Than Your Peers
- 9 Reasons Your New Blog is Guaranteed To Fail
- Top 10 Blogging Myths, The Bad Blogging Advice That Hurts Your Site
Month 24: June 2021
I’m excited to see if I finally see the traffic growth I’ve been waiting for this summer. Google’s rollout of core web vitals in theory should dramatically help this site get traffic.
Other than that I’m mostly just continuing to jam out content and wait. I anticipated this would be a 3 year journey and most of the traffic would come towards the tail end. Let’s see if I’m right about that.